Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.
1 Corinthians 9:25
I wish life would quit petting my peeves.
The little annoyances that get me worked up in my day so much, I have to pray to Jesus to ask for control of my thoughts and my mouth!
And all of the childhood reminders of what my mother and granny would say to me, come dancing into my head during these peeve petting moments.
“Be careful little mouth what you say”
“If you can’t say something nice, then don’t say anything at all”
”Watch your tongue”
Let me say this, I say! Alone I am not, with all of the little peeve petters I’m sure of. Here are some of the pet peeves that drive me bonkers. Laugh if you must! I’m sure we could compare notes.
1. When my dog continuously licks her chops when I’m trying to fall asleep
2. When I’m driving well over the speed limit and have someone whizz by me only to slam on their brakes to turn in front of me. Really? Was that necessary?
3. Continuous interruptions of low priorities when I’m trying to concentrate.
4. When I set my coffee cup down and I can’t remember where it is.
5. When men stare at me at the store and try to strike up small talk and I don’t want to talk and they never seem to get the hint and all I want to do is smack them up the side of the head and tell them to hush their mouths. (My girlfriend would tell me those thoughts are called movie moments).
6. When I write myself a note only to refer to it later and have no idea what it means.
7. When I am unable to locate the note I have written myself to remind me of something later.
8. When I get home from the store only to realize I forgot the most important thing on my list. Or when I get to the store and realize I have forgotten my list.
9. When I’m in my office and the deer look in my window when I least expect it. It’s like having my own little personal stalkers.
10. When I faithfully wear my mask in public due to this pandemic and the public looks at me like I’m from another planet.
And to think these are just a small handful.
I think Jesus really tests my patience. What are your pet peeves? Just like 1 Corinthians 9:25, we are competing for a crown that will last forever. And I deep breathe and hush my mouth. I smile and show kindness, gosh darn it even in the most difficult times. And there are times when I am guilty of losing it. I am human and I am sometimes truly tired and truly cranky and the steamroller kicks in.
Then as I sit and pout or fume, Jesus somehow, in someway, puts his hand on my shoulder and all I can say is, “I know, I know.”